We're glad you've chosen Rock Hill for your business location! All businesses operating in the City of Rock Hill are required to pay an annual license fee for the privilege of doing business in the City for each of its locations. If you are opening a new business, buying an existing business, or transferring a business to your ownership, you must apply for a new business license under your name and submit a New Business License Application.
Annual license fees are based on the rate class associated with the North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) and the gross income for the business. The Business License Calculator will help to determine your fee. You can find more information in the Business License Ordinance (Chapter 11) and Rate Class Index.
- Commercial Locations - A certificate of occupancy is required for your business location. This is obtained by complying with any zoning and/or building code requirements. The Open for Business Program can assist you through this process.
- Home-based Businesses - A Home Occupation Permit is required to use your home address as the business location. Fill out the Home Occupation Permit application and submit it to our office.
- Outside City Limits - Businesses located outside of the City of Rock Hill's municipal limits are also required to have a business license if they engage in business activity within the city. Visit our frequently asked questions page for more information.
- Contractors Outside City Limits - Contractors without a physical business location inside the City have the option to obtain a "Per Job License" for projects they will be working on in the City that will cover their work for the duration of the project. Please provide a copy of your contract or quote with your business license application.
Business License Renewals
The business license fee for each calendar year is due at the beginning of the year and is considered past due after April 30. Renewal forms are mailed out at the end of each calendar year. Business licenses are subject to a 5% late fee per month starting on May 1. The late fee is not included in the business license calculator.
Steps to Renew Your License
- Step 1 - Fill out a Business License Renewal Application.
- Step 2 - Submit your completed application by email. Note: We must receive your email no later than 5 PM on April 21 to process your application. Any payments made after 5 PM on April 30 are subject to penalties.
- Step 3 - Once we receive your application and process it, you will receive an invoice with the total of your business license fee. You can pay online or mail a check along with your invoice.
- Step 4 - Your business license will be issued after we receive your payment. A hard copy will be mailed to you. Please post your license in a conspicuous place at your business establishment. A mobile or non-resident business should carry the license with them.
|Business License Fee Calculator *||Rate Class Index|
|Business License Application||Business License Renewal Application|
|Business License Ordinance||Frequently Asked Questions|
* Note that there are several types of businesses that the online fee calculator is not able to calculate. These include professional practices, like physicians and attorneys, where a minimum fee is charged for each principal of the firm and rate class 8.2 through 8.10 businesses such as telecommunications, insurance, amusement machines/coin operated devices, and billiard or pool rooms. Please contact us at 803-329-5590 or by email to determine your license cost.