The Planning and Development Department Inspections Division is responsible for the issuance of permits for construction activities to assure compliance with all applicable codes and ordinances. We are dedicated to the City of Rock Hill's desire to provide the finest service possible by continually researching and implementing innovative policies, procedures and advanced computer technology.
Before Scheduling Inspections
Before scheduling an inspection please make sure you have met the following requirements:
- The address and permit placard must be posted and visible from the road or street and the placard accessible to the inspector. The permit placard is to be protected from the weather. A weather proof enclosure is recommended. Plastic wrap and bags will not protect due to leakage and condensation.
- Plans stamped as “Field Copy” and any comment sheets from the Permit Application Center are to be onsite for all inspections. The plans are required to be kept at the job site for the duration of the project.
- Readily available toilet facilities (within 300 feet of the job site).
- Silt fencing for erosion control must be in place prior to clearing or grading.
- Gravel entry or paved access to site. Construction may not begin until fire hydrants and roads serving the construction location are approved for use by the fire marshal.
Inspections are performed between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. For your convenience the City provides a 24 hour inspection line and any request called in prior to 3:00 p.m. will be scheduled for the following day.
Requesting an Inspection
To request an inspection by phone, call 803-329-5590. Please provide the following information when calling:
• Permit number (required for inspection)
• Lot number (if in subdivision)
• Contractor name and phone number
• Type of inspection required
• Date inspection needed
To request an inspection online visit our Online Services website. Inspections requested from the web prior to 7:00 a.m. may be scheduled for the same day. Inspection status results are also available online at the Online Services website.
Certificate of Occupancy or Final Inspections
All final inspection requests should be requested by phone at 803-329-5590 seven days in advance of when you need the C.O. This will allow the permit staff to schedule all of the final inspectors that may need to visit your site and get some required information from you for the final inspection request. See the inspection checklists below for more information about the final inspections. You can also see How to Obtain Your Certificate of Occupancy for Commercial Buildings and the Final Inspection Checklist.
In rare cases, a Temporary Certificate of Occupancy may be issued for a set period of time while some items are completed. To request a Temporary Certificate of Occupancy, complete the Temporary Certificate of Occupancy Application.
Use the following checklists to prepare for your inspections:
Please note, a minimum of a final inspection should be scheduled on any permit. Any permit that doesn't have any inspections scheduled will automatically be expired after 6 months. A permit that doesn't receive any inspections can be considered an open building code violation. This may create a problem during a real estate transaction like the sale of a home.
ContactTo schedule inspections or for more information, contact the Permit Application Center (PAC) at 803-329-5590 or by email.
Related Information:Building Construction Codes Currently Enforced
Inspections for New Businesses - Open for Business Program